A healthy aquatic environment can help the fish live comfortably and healthily even inside a fish tank. However, fishes can also emit toxins out of their body, while it leaves some of its food uneaten; as a result, it causes the aquariums’ water to increase its pH level and reduce oxygen level, making it unsafe for the fish to live in.
If you are planning to have a small aquarium inside your home, you should take the cleaning part seriously. To help you out, this detailed post will instruct you on how to keep your fish tanks clean and clear all the time:
Step 1. Change the water regularly
Changing the water tank regularly can be challenging and tiring for the pet owners; so, the best way to deal with cloudy and dirty water in the aquarium, you have to remove just about 20-30 percent of the water weekly or every after two weeks. Here are some few tips that you need to remember when changing water:
- Never use water fresh from the faucet
- Use water that had been reserved at least for two days, where the chlorine present in the tap water had already evaporated and the water had already reached a room temperature.
- Do not replace the entire water in the tank; you should keep the normal marine tanks’ water salinity.
Step 2. Filter out the unwanted
Every aquarium with aquatic small animals inside leaves different kinds of chemical and solid contaminants. Thus, you have to filter out the undesirable contaminants by using biological, mechanical and chemical filter monthly.
- Biological Filters: The nitrate and the nitrite-forming bacteria are produced by the fishes inside the tank. These wastes help balance the salinity of the water which is vital to the aquarium’s overall health.
- Mechanical Filters: Using of cotton or foam cartilages.
- Chemical Filters: Using of charcoal, carbon, and zeolite that helps converts the toxins in the water to a normal aquatic salinity.
Step 3: Pump in some oxygen
The aquarium needs oxygen too; this allows them to live freely and healthily. If you are planning to buy an aquarium set, make sure that the air pump is also included in the purchase. According to the experts, the pump inserts air into the water from the outside of the tank, allowing the oxygen to sink into the water.
Step 4: Remove the algae
Do not leave any algae build-up inside your tank; according to the experts, algae cause water toxicity which is bad for the living creature inside your aquarium.
Here are other maintenance routines that you may use when growing fish inside the aquarium:
- Watch your fishes’ eating behavioral changes, it could indicate a potential health problem.
- Count the fish that dies each week; it could be a result of increasing pH level of the water that any fish could withstand.
- Always check the aquariums tubing and other aquarium materials.
There are several ways to clean an aquarium; but, maintaining it clean can be very tough. However, if you have the will and determination to make your pet fish live healthily, any aquarium task can be very easy for almost everyone.